Here are ten reasons to eat apples:
1. The apple's pulp contains pectin, a soluble form of fiber. Pectin soothes and coats the lining of the intestinal tract when one has diarrhea, in addition to adding bulk to the stool.
2. Apple pectin is effective against several types of bacteria known to cause diarrhea such as salmonella, staphylococcus, and e. coli.
3. Due to its high fiber content, it is effective at relieving constipation.
4. The high fiber/pectin helps to reduce blood cholesterol.
5. Apples contain flavonoids which are antioxidants that help prevent cell damage that leads to the narrowing of the arteries, which in turn leads to heart disease.
6. Pectin binds to certain cancer causing compounds in the colon, speeding their elimination from the body.
7. The flavonoids in the apples help prevent cell damage that cause many cancers.
8. Studies have shown apple pectin to reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
9. European studies show apple pectin to eliminate lead, mercury, and other toxic heavy metals from the body.
10. Apple's leaves contain an antibiotic called phloretin that is effective in wound healing.
Now, go eat an apple!
* one little note of caution: apple seeds contain a powerful poison called cyanide. So please, don't eat the seeds!
Hope you're having a beautiful Fall!